Thursday, April 21, 2011

Kuala Lumpur, Here I Come!

As if Malaysia wasn't exciting enough, I will be living in the main city; Kuala Lumpur. Here are some facts and cool pictures!


Here's a professional photograph of the city at night, isn't that absolutely gorgeous?


This is a hotel in the city, amazing architecture is a major plus for exchange students like me!


Look at all that fantastic food! It's really a reflection on the culture mixes that happen that the meals are designed this way.


More food! Oh, my mouth is watering just looking up these pictures. Thanks to Google Images :)

These pictures are pretty cool, but I'm sure I'll be taking so many pictures there that these will be almost forgotten. Here are some stats about Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia:

  • City Population1,453,975
  • Country Population28,306,700
  • Country World Rank43

  • It is the fastest growing metropolitan region in the country, in terms of population and economy.
  • Since the 1990s, the city has played host to many international sporting, political and cultural events including the 1988 Commonwealth Games and the Formula One World Championship. In addition, Kuala Lumpur is home to the tallest twin buildings in the world, the Petronas Twin Towers, which have become an iconic symbol of Malaysia's futuristic developments.

The yearly average temperatures have a high of 32.4 C (90.3 F) and a low of 23.2 C (73.8 F), and it doesn't really get below 70 F at all. This is in serious contrast to the area of New England where I live, where it can get pretty darned cold. I'm really looking forward to the balmy weather, then I say that they get about 100 inches of rain every year.

I hope this provided a general overview of the city I'll be experiencing firsthand in just a few short months. I've got my hands on a Malay phrasebook and I await a Tourist's Malay Book and CD set in the mail, so I'm preparing myself with the language and educating myself about the culture.

Selamat tinggal untuk sekarang! (Goodbye for now!)
~Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment